CONTROLLER – ACCOUNTING
Salary: $85,000 -$90,000 range + excellent benefits
Our Client is a non-profit, community-based health education, advocacy and policy organization established in 1992 in response to the growing health and healthcare crisis. Our Client has been on the cutting edge of public policy and research, working to strengthen community participation and inform state and local policies that improve community health and wellbeing.
The Controller reports to the Chief Compliance and Operations Officer and will take direction from the Consulting CFO. The Controller serves as an integral member of the management team. In this role, the candidate will ensure that the company has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures, and people systems in place to effectively grow the organization and to ensure financial strength and operating efficiency. The Controller is responsible for day-to-day general accounting duties of the organization as well as compliance with all relevant local, state, federal regulations and accounting principles; and ensures the integrity of the financial policies, procedures, systems and reporting.
Controller Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
The Controller is responsible for supporting the executive team with key financial information and operational analytics and driving a culture of accountability in managing the business and adding value to the operations of the organization. Financial accounting, management and required financial reporting for compliance of:
- Donors – Individual and Corporate
- Grants – Government & Non-Government
- Social Enterprises
- Real Estate Assets
- Provide day-to-day leadership and management guidance which mirror the adopted mission and core values. Bottom Line: grow a self-sustaining organization.
- Ensure the organization has the proper operational controls, administrative and reporting procedures to meet operational and financial targets.
- Responsible for all core accounting functions including, but not limited to, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, general ledger control, cost accounting, budgeting and financial reporting.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the CCOO and Consulting CFO informed of all critical issues.
- Working with the Consulting CFO prepare short-term and long-range plans and budgets to support strategic revenue goals.
- Assist in the protection of the organization by ensuring it is legally protected and by ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and policies.
- Provide useful financial insights to help make better decisions about formulating and
executing business strategy.
- Establish internal control processes required to manage and grow the business.
- Anticipate and correct potential problems in advance.
- Drive the annual budget process.
- Provide operational support for the annual audit.
- Provide cashflow forecasting to management so that funding requirements are well understood.
- Provide timely, accurate and insightful financial and operational reporting that will inform management and the Board of Directors on the performance of the organization.
- Effectively lead the accounting team by developing and coaching existing team and by hiring and retaining top-grade talent.
- Ensure compliance with the financial risk management policy.
- Effectively manage subcontractors, board of directors, suppliers, and other financial relationships.
- In collaboration with executive team, structure, negotiate, and finalize purchase agreements.
OTHER/GENERAL FUNCTIONS –Management Team and Executive Management:
- Be an active member of the Management Team.
- Participate in Board of Directors’ meetings by providing financial reports to the Treasurer and respond to questions raised.
- Participate/assist in future project(s) development, planning & profitability assessments.
- Participate/assist in development & implementation of Strategic Plan.
- Provide financial oversight to CHC’s Social Enterprises (3).
Qualifications and Skills Competency
- A minimum of a BS and CPA/CMA.
- Minimum of 5+ years of controller experience in a nonprofit organization and/or social enterprises.
- Mature and proactive, with evidence of having worked as a true business partner to the management team of a nonprofit entity and responsible for an accounting department.
- Up to date knowledge of current financial and accounting computer applications.
- Excellent verbal, analytical, organizational and written skills.
- Demonstrated excellence in managing accounting, budgeting, control, and reporting.
- Skill in examining, developing, reengineering, and recommending financial, HR, and technology policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of nonprofit management systems and practices.
- Familiarity with social enterprises a plus
- Ability to execute on detailed business plans and programs.
- Strong interpersonal and leadership skills, self-confidence.
- Integrative team working style, easy contact, rapid to adaptation, can foster team spirit
- Able to effectively interface with all levels of on-site and off-site employees and contractors.
- Must be highly competent and skilled in the use of Microsoft Excel as well as other Microsoft Office applications.
- Must be highly competent and skilled in the use of Quickbooks.
- Knowledge of government and private foundation funding. ?
- Good interpersonal skills, capable of handling difficult situations.
- Team player with a competitive spirit to excel and the ability to influence and motivate others.
- Ability to explain finance concepts and concisely communicate key financial themes to non-finance business people.
Our Client is a non-profit, community-based advocacy, policy and educational organization. We offer a competitive salary and generous benefits including medical, dental, vision and 403b plans; vacation, sick and holiday benefits. Our Client is an equal opportunity employer. Women and persons of color are encouraged to apply.