Efficient time management is crucial in an industry like healthcare! Given the need to manage patients and provide the appropriate services and treatment in the soonest possible time, staff scheduling can become a challenge for many hospitals and clinics. The right scheduling software can make a huge difference, as it can help boost productivity and enhance overall patient care.
Medical staff scheduling software is a digital tool that can help healthcare facilities automate their scheduling process, allowing them to effectively ensure that the right staff members are assigned to the right tasks at the right time.
What is the importance of using scheduling software in the healthcare industry?
Proper scheduling is one of the foundations of a good service for healthcare providers and there is a need for them to keep up with the fast-paced world by using a staff scheduling software. A scheduling software optimizes the timetable of doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals – preventing overbookings, missed appointments and delays.
By improving the scheduling process, healthcare facilities can reduce waiting times and ensure that each patient is seen promptly. This can lead to better patient outcomes, improved patient satisfaction, and increased patient loyalty. At the same time, having a digital tool helps healthcare facilities save money by reducing the amount of time and resources required for scheduling and administrative tasks.
A healthcare staff scheduling software also helps staff members avoid stress, as they can be involved in creating their work schedules. In the long run, an efficient scheduling process promotes healthy work-life balance among staff members and improves employee retention.
A scheduling software for healthcare facilities has the following features:
- Automated scheduling – The software can automatically generate schedules based on set parameters such as staff availability, workload, and skill sets.
- Staff management – The tool can track several schedule indicators, such as staff hours, vacation time, sick leaves, and time offs.
- Communication – The scheduling software can be used to provide a platform for staff members to communicate and collaborate.
- Mobile access – The tool can be accessed from any device, such as smartphones, tablets, and laptops.
- Analytics – The software can generate reports that can help provide insights to staff performance, identify areas of improvement, and optimize the scheduling process.
What are factors to evaluate when choosing a healthcare scheduling software?
Here’s a checklist of the things that must be considered when choosing the right medical staff scheduling software:
- Usability – Evaluate the quality of the software’s user interface. It should be easily navigated and understood by staff of different skill levels.
- Features – It must have most, if not all, of the features mentioned earlier such as automated scheduling, patient information management, and real-time updates.
- Integration – The software should have the ability to integrate with other data and process systems used in a healthcare facility such as electronic medical record system and billing software.
- Security – It is a must to check out the safety and security issues of the software, including encryption and user control access.
- Scalability – The software must be able to adapt to the changes and growth in the medical staff of healthcare facilities.
- Cost – Another important consideration is the cost of the software. Is it going to be a one-time payment, or will it be on a subscription basis? What would be the potential return on investment in using the software?
Top medical scheduling software to consider
Below are some of the top scheduling software currently available for healthcare facilities, hospitals, and private clinics:
|ShiftWizard is developed by HealthStream with the aim of providing a platform that simplifies schedules and promotes open communication.
|· Comprehensive and customizable scheduling process
· Analytics and drill-down reports
· Intelligent predictions
· Mass messaging
· License tracking
|OnShift||OnShift offers an integrated suite of software and services primarily geared towards healthcare facilities in the long-term care space.||· Employee-first mobile app
· Reusable master schedules
· Staff alerts
· Automation of shift request approvals
· Monitoring of premium hours and potential clock-riding in real-time
|MakeShift||Makeshift’s promise is to provide the perfect solution to manage hectic schedules, cut absenteeism, lower employee turnover, and reduce overtime.||· Push Notifications for schedule changes
· On-site Time Kiosks
· Availability Preferences
· Fatigue Management Rules to prevent burnout
· Shift Exchange
|Rotageek||Rotageek delivers smart workforce management tools to promote productivity, profitability, and happiness among healthcare organizations.||· Intelligent scheduling using artificial intelligence
· Cost-efficient forecasting
· Leave and absence management
· Enterprise-grade security
· Photo capture and geo-location
|Smartlinx||Smarlinx helps medical groups and healthcare organizations harness the power of data by offering a purpose-built workforce management platform.||· Schedule optimizer
· Generation of smart schedules
· Prediction and reduction of costly overtime
· Attendance tracking
· Flexible rule engine
|QGenda||QGenda equips healthcare organizations with a tool that serves as a central platform in managing the workforce.||· Staff and on-call scheduling
· Provider credentialing
· Time Tracking
· Compensation management
|EasyShifts||EasyShifts is specifically designed to be a convenient solution to ease the complexities of work schedules in hospitals.||· Full customization
· Filling open shifts
· Finding replacements for call-ins
· Overtime Control
· Instant staff notifications
Should you shift to healthcare staff scheduling software?
If your organization is still using pen and paper or spreadsheets to manage schedules, it might be the best idea to switch now. Staff scheduling software and tools come in all features, prices, and accessibility and there will, for sure, be one that would fit your organization’s needs.
It pays huge difference to use these available tools. Not only will you be able to save costs and improve patient care, but you can also enhance the lives of your most important resource — your healthcare staff.
Reach out to De Vore Recruiting to find out how you can enhance your workforce management and improve employee retention.