Job Title: Licensed Vocational Nurse
Reports To: RN Supervisor/RN Administrator
FLSA Status: Non Exempt
Under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse, the Licensed Vocational Nurse is responsible for the delivery of direct care to clients within our 6 bed Assisted Living Client. The LVN assumes shift accountability for one or more clients, collaborating with an interdisciplinary team in the provision all aspects of patient care, rehabilitation nursing and independence/ community re-entry
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Upholds the philosophy and vision of Best Quality Living, lnc,
2. Performs nursing care as directed, adhering to guidelines as set forth
under Best Quality Living, lnc.'s Policy & Procedure, the California Nurse
Practice Act, Title 22, and TJC standards which Best Quality Living, lnc.
3. Provides direct supervision for CNA's and attendant level staff.
4. implements each client's individualized care plan, identifying client needs
and advising RN of same.
5. Performs direct nursing care to include AM/ PM care; skin, bowel, bladder
programs, nutrition and hydration, medications and ordered treatments,
transfers, NG tube and gastrostomy tube feedings; positioning and
6. Provides client/ family/ caregiver education utilizing individualized teaching
techniques to meet each client's needs.
7. Utilizes all available resources in planning care and consults as needed
with RN's, medical staff, outside specialists or consultants, and other
members of the interdisciplinary team.
8. Documents nursing care, client family/ caregiver teaching, client response
to teaching in the medical record. Communicates information to
appropriate team members.
9. Continuously reviews, evaluates, and documents the effectiveness of
nursing care, and accomplishment of client goals for discharge.
l0.Assists clients on community-based trips, medical visits, or to the hospital
1 Implements and assists clients to participate in planned activities
l2.Strives for excellence in client care and works to coordinate with other
disciplines to ensure client safety and well being.
l3.Accounts for own conduct and promotes good working relationships
among clients/ family, and coworkers.
14.Acts ds a nurse preceptor for orientation of new personnel as designated
by RN supervisor.
15. ldentifies professional development needs of subordinates and assets with
plan for improvement.
l6.Accepts changes in assignments; cross-trained to float to group homes,
private duty, and home health settings.
17. Responsible for self-development and furthering knowledge. Maintains
current licensure, certificates, CPR card, and attends regularly scheduled inservices/ workshops in order to maintain required CEU's and employment status at New Start.
1, Providing personal care including:
b. Back rubs
c. Oral hygiene d. Shampoos
e. Changing bed linen f. Assisting patients with dressing and undressing
g. Skin care to prevent breakdown h. Assisting the patient with toileting activities i. Keeping patient's living area clean and orderly, as appropriate
2. Planning and preparing nutritious meals.
3. Assisting in feeding the patient, if necessary.
4. Taking and recording oral, rectal and axillary temperatures, pulse,
respiration and blood pressure when ordered (with appropriate
com pleted/demonstrated skills competency).
5. Assisting in ambulation and exercise according to the plan of care.
6. Performing range of motion and other simple procedures as an
extensional therapy service as ordered (with appropriate
completed/demonstrated skills competency).
7. Assisting patient in the self-administration of medication.
8. Doing patient's laundry, as appropriate. L Meeting safety needs of patients and using equipment safely and properly
(foot stools, side rails, etc.)
10. Reporting on patient's condition and significant changes to the assigned nurse.
To perform this job successfully, and individual must be able to perform each
essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of
the knowledge, skill, and/ or ability required. All persons must successfully
complete Best Quality Living, lnc.'s initial pre-employment screening process and
annual requirements for continuing employment.
o Current License as a Vocation Nurse by the State of California.
o Current CPR card – BCLS for healthcare workers
o Ability to speak, read, and write in English.
o Demonstrate ability to operate and use equipment necessary for client care, but not limited to the following:
o Hoyer Lift . Sliding board
o Ventilators . Manual and Electric Wheelchair
o Battery chargers
Pay Rate: $28.00 to $32.00 DOE