Our Clients is a non-profit, community-based health education, advocacy and policy organization established in 1992 in response to the growing health and healthcare crisis. our client mission is to collectively build equitable systems. Our Client has been at the forefront of systems change work to eliminate disparities in health and well-being. Our policy areas include Health Systems, Food Justice, and Community and Economic Resiliency. Each area represents a unique opportunity to engage members of impacted communities in program and policy development through a wide variety of community interventions and strategies as well as representation and leadership through the coalitions and collaborations convened. With a primary focus on South Los Angeles, our client works at the local, state, and national level to improve the health of under-served and marginalized communities.
Reporting to the Controller, the Grants & Contracts Manager works across multiple teams to coordinate and manage compliance regulations, proper documentation processing, data and payments related to grants, contracts, and funder agreements administered by our client. This position requires specialized knowledge and experience in managing research, development, and service-related contracts and grants, both government and non-government. The successful candidate must have grants and contracts management experience, including experience working with federal and public agencies. This candidate must also have experience in the development and management of multiple subgrantees. The candidate must have experience collaborating with numerous other infrastructure departments (Finance, Accounting, IT, HR, etc.) in the development and maintenance of internal business processes & procedures and provide leadership in the implementation and dissemination of business processes. The candidate must be a team player and be able to collaborate with numerous directors and various internal departments to efficiently support and execute our clients overall contracting and business process, from proposal through closeout.
Description of job duties and responsibilities
Management of our clients Grants and Contracts
- Provide hands-on contract and grant administration to our client programs on agreements with numerous funding agencies, such as various federal government entities, public health organizations, local education agencies, non-profits, and private organizations.
- Provide guidance and support to program staff related to contractual matters in various federal, state, and local proposal efforts. This includes reviewing terms, suggesting alternate language, preparing standard forms, and informing all internal department and program staff of potential issues.
- Share grants and contracts information with the appropriate program, accounting, and administration, finance, legal, communications, and technology staff.
Management of Subcontracts and Subgrantees
- Work with external subcontracts, applicants, and grantees to facilitate grant/contract allocation and monitor activity including the performance of annual fiscal and programmatic review as necessary.
- Provide professional-level support to the Controller by taking an active role in researching federal, state, and local regulatory and compliance issues applicable to our client projects.
- Conducts due diligence on potential subcontractors and grantee organizations, including compliance and legal review, in collaboration with Controller.
- Manage end-to-end process of grant- and contract-making (sending out requests for proposals, driving key deadlines for submissions, revisions, as well as sending reminders to grantees/vendors for required reporting.
- Independently manage various processes related to the grants and subcontracts lifecycle within our client, e.g. the review/approval of pre-award spending, reporting and development/management of subcontracts.
- Manage grants and subcontracts expenditure, including managing the inquiry process, preparing agreements, reviewing reports for compliance, and supporting the tax function in preparation of schedules for the tax return.
- Coordinating with partners and internal leadership to develop plans, timelines, and corresponding activities to develop and execute investments.
- Contributing to team-wide or foundation-wide projects and other continuous improvement efforts, including the optimization of investment templates and processes.
- Responds to general inquiries from the public and from prospective grantees which come in via online portal, email, mail, and telephone.
- Track invoicing and grant/contract deliverables, as well as the ongoing management and closeout of grants/contracts.
- Maintain all funder, grant, and contractor files and databases including conducting periodic audits for compliance and thoroughness and records retention pursuant to our client and funder policies.
- Ensure all grant and contract reports are reviewed and processed according to set standards for timelines, quality, and consistency.
- Work with our client leadership on the development of a streamlined grants and contracts process and structure to ensure integrity and compliance. This is inclusive of protocols for re-granting funds and the coordination of subcontracts.
- Educate and train our client staff on grants and contracts management compliance, internal processes, and technology.
- Interface on a regular basis with staff at all levels of our client’s departments, clients, and partners to build effective relationships.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in public grants and contracts administration.
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in grants management related to federal, state, or local proposals.
- Experience providing compliance knowledge to support financial reporting and procurement.
- Experience managing subcontracts and/or serving in a grantor role
- Strong knowledge of government contracts management/procurement processes and procedures.
- Strong knowledge of government grants processes and procedures.
- Capable of properly escalating issues of concern to appropriate leaders, as well as identifying potential implications for scope, timeline, quality, or budgets to program leaders.
- Highly organized, able to prioritize multiple assignments to meet deadlines.
- Proficient in time management, decision making, and human relationships.
- Strong understanding of organizational conflict of interest issues.
- Certificate in contracts management or procurement management desirable.
- Experience managing grants and contracts in large systems or institutions preferred.
- Experience in database software such as Salesforce and other grant software strongly preferred.
- Experience with Asana project management software strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication skills.
- APPLY: Please email a 1-page Cover Letter describing how your experience is a match for this position, and attach Resume. Include the title of the position you are applying for in the Subject line of your email.
Our client is a non-profit, community-based health advocacy, policy, and educational organization. We offer a competitive salary and generous benefits including medical, dental, vision and 403b plans, vacation, sick and holiday benefits. our client is an equal opportunity employer. Women and persons of color are encouraged to apply.