Title: ACCOUNTANT / FULL CHARGE BOOKKEEPER
Salary: $55,000 based salary, depending on experience.
Community Health Councils (CHC) is a non-profit, community-based health education, advocacy and policy organization established in 1992 in response to the growing health and healthcare crisis. CHC’s mission is to collectively build equitable systems. CHC has been on the cutting edge of public policy and program development, working to strengthen community participation and inform state and local policies that: (1) improve community health and education to achieve optimal health and healthy lifestyles; (2) ensure equitable access to quality healthcare services; (3) provide universal access to quality healthcare coverage and (4) eliminate health disparities. CHC engages members of impacted communities in program and policy development through a wide variety of community interventions and strategies as well as representation and leadership through the coalitions and collaborations convened. With a primary focus on South Los Angeles, CHC works at the local, state and national level to improve the health of under-served and marginalized communities.
The Accountant / Full Charge Bookkeeper will report to the Controller and work closely with management team members. The position will be responsible for daily accounting functions supporting the operations of CHC. The incumbent will need to be a team player, adaptable, energetic, and self-directed.
Accountant / Full Charge Bookkeeper Essential Roles and Responsibilities:
The Accountant / Full Charge Bookkeeper is responsible for the timely, accurate and efficient performance of their duties in accordance with established accounting and internal control policies, processes, and procedures. The position is responsible for typical general accounting duties include, but not limited to:
- Invoicing and Accounts Receivable
- Bill Payment and Accounts Payable
- Fixed Assets and Depreciation
- Recording and reconciliation of credit card transactions
- Reconciliation of cash
- General ledger maintenance
- Timely and accurate preparation and submission of invoices to clients and funding sources in compliance with their requirements.
- Recording of these invoices in the accounting software, maintenance of accounts receivables aging, and follow-up with funding sources on delinquent payments.
- Recording of approved vendor bills in the accounting software, ensuring that the bills are recorded accurately to the correct accounts and programs. Pay bills in accordance with established expense payment procedures. Ensure vendor files provide all required documentation.
- Process payroll to the payroll company, record and reconcile payroll entries.
- Record cash receipts.
- Maintain fixed asset schedules.
- Recording and reconciliation of credit card transactions.
- Daily reconciliation of cash.
- Record recurring monthly close entries.
- Support audits by funding agencies and independent CPA.
- Perform all responsibilities in compliance with the established internal control environment and the requirements of the funding sources.
- All other responsibilities as assigned.
Qualifications and Skills Competency
- B.S. in Accounting
- Three years of applicable work experience, preferably in a non-profit related organization
- A demonstrated knowledge of GAAP and increasing responsibility in the recording, maintenance and reconciliation of general ledger account balances and the related internal controls
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook) and Quickbooks.
- Excellent verbal, analytical, organizational and written skills.
- Integrative team working style, easy contact, rapid to adaptation, can foster team spirit
- Able to effectively interface with all levels of on-site and off-site employees and contractors.
- Good interpersonal skills, capable of handling difficult situations. ?
- Team player with a competitive spirit to excel and the ability to influence and motivate others.
TO APPLY: Please email a 1-page Cover Letter describing how your experience is a match for this position, and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please. Include the title of the position you are applying for in the Subject line of your email.
Community Health Councils is a non-profit, community-based advocacy, policy and educational organization. We offer a competitive salary and generous benefits including medical, dental, vision and 403b plans; vacation, sick and holiday benefits. CHC is an equal opportunity employer. Women and persons of color are encouraged to apply.