Driver Assisted Living
Basic Purpose of Driver Assisted Living for Position:
The purpose of the Driver for Assisted Living – Skilled Nursing is provide safe, reliable transportation for residents to medical appointments, required social errands, planned activities, and special events.
Employment Classification: Non-Exempt
- Current class C Driver’s Licensed with clean DMV record.
Position Requirements for Driver of Assisted Living
- Must possess good organizational skills with an attention to timeliness.
- Must possess the ability to read, write and communicate verbally in English.
- Must possess the ability to deal tactfully with customers including residents, family members, visitors, facility employees, government agencies/personnel and the general public.
- Must possess the ability to work harmoniously with other personnel.
- Must possess a high degree of personal accountability, responsibility and the ability to make independent decisions when circumstances warrant such action.
- Must be able to relate to and work with ill, disabled, elderly, emotionally upset, and at times hostile people within the facility.
- Must commit to the Mission and Core Values of the organization.
Reports To: Concierge or Administrator for Assisted Living or Skilled Nursing
Duties and Responsibilities Driver Assisted Living
- Must commit to the Mission and Core Values of the organization and promote facility in a positive manner.
- Pick up and drop off residents at predetermined times and locations.
- Maintain a record of residents who are dropped off and picked up to assure that the location of residents is known at all times.
- Provide to each resident using the transportation services a business card or other document detailing instructions and the number to call in the event their transportation requirements change.
- Communicate the van location with the Concierge/Receptionist by way of the cellular phone (only when the van is parked).
- Check with residents who are being dropped off for physician appointments to make sure they have a Physician Visit form to be completed by the MD. When picking up a resident from a medical appointment make sure the resident has the Physician Visit form completed.
- Maintain the vehicle in good operating condition. Notify the Maintenance Supervisor of any suspected needs for service.
- Never drive the vehicle if it is in an unsafe condition.
- Complete the pre-trip inspection of the vehicle prior to each use. Document the results of the inspection.
- Assist residents in getting on or off the van as necessary. Obtain additional help as needed.
- Carry out other duties as assigned by supervisor to ensure smooth operation of the program and to meet the residents’ needs.
Physical Demands of Position for Driver Assisted Living
The essential functions of this position require the following physical abilities:
- Standing and/or walking occasionally. Sitting frequently.
- Using hands to finger, handle or feel very frequently.
- Reaching with hands and arms very frequently, pushing/pulling very frequently.
- Climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling very frequently.
- Talking and/or hearing frequently.
- Tasting and/or smelling frequently.
- Close, distance, color, peripheral, and depth perception in vision; ability to adjust focus.
Risks/Exposure/Limitations Assisted Living
- May be necessary to assist in the evacuation of residents during emergency situations.
- May be subject to frequent interruptions.
- May be subject to call-back during emergency conditions (e.g., severe weather, evacuation, post-disaster, etc.).
- May be subject to hostile and emotionally upset residents, family members, personnel, and visitors.
- May be subject to exposure to infectious waste, diseases, conditions, etc., including TB and the AIDS and Hepatitis B viruses.