Director of Billing -Director of Patient Accounts
The Director of Patient Accounts is responsible for billing and collections for all medical and dental clinics of Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC). Supervises billing and collections staff of 16-18 employees to assure that all assigned tasks are completed timely and accurately. Consistently meets established productivity, schedules adherence and quality standards; proactively seeks to further develop billing process competencies; and assists in implementation of process improvements. This position will report to the Chief Financial Officer.
All employees are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and boosted as a condition of employment, subject to limited exemptions. New Employees are required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19 before the first day of employment. Exemptions to this requirement will be considered for those requesting an exemption on medical, disability, or religious grounds.
- Directs overall billing and collections activities in accordance with current applicable standards, guidelines, and regulations.
- Serves as subject matter expert in FQHC billing, coding, and reimbursement.
- Interacts with billing and collections team on a day-to-day basis to improve performance and achieve department goals.
- Develops and maintains policies pertaining to insurance, patient billing, cash posting and collection practices.
- Directs processing of accounts receivable, adjustments/refunds, cash deposits, and postings.
- Oversees all month end processes, including completion of data entry, review and correction of edits, and reconciliation of claims transactions.
- Ensures systems and controls are in place as outlined in policy and procedure manuals.
- Manages all claim submissions to Medicare, Medi-Cal, Partnership Health Plan and other third-party insurances through clearing house payment services.
- Provides training and guidance to clinical and support staff to assure that all charges are entered correctly before submission to the NextGen and Dentrix practice management systems.
- Monitors, identifies, and fixes system set up issues in NextGen and Dentrix.
- Monitors and updates as needed the provider and payer billing profiles, encounters rate billing libraries, tasking and queue set ups, automatic write-off processes, annual CPT library updates, service item library, NDC library updates, contracts library, remittance profiles, and reasons codes set up.
- Monitors clearinghouse activity and identify and fix any errors in claims.
- Maintains credentials for all providers with insurance.
- Participates in the annual completion of the UDS and OSHPD reporting in conjunction with the CIO and CFO.
- Assists CFO in completion of annual Medicare cost and Medi-Cal reconciliation reports.
- Provides reporting and documentation for internal and external auditors.
- Produces and analyzes the Aged Accounts Receivable on a monthly basis
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or related health-care field.
- Prior experience with a computerized patient billing systems such as NextGen and Dentrix.
- Prior experience in health care billing, including Medicare and Medi-Cal reimbursements.
- 5+ years of experience in FQHC (community health) desirable.
- Prior experience managing and leading a team of medical billers (Patient Account Representatives).
- Strong communicating ability.
- Strong organizations skills with ability to follow through on projects.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking abilities.
Our benefits program is designed to protect your health, family and way of life. We offer a competitive Benefits Program that includes affordable health insurance and Health Reimbursement Accounts (HRA), Dental and Vision Insurance, Educational and Continuing Education Benefits, Student Loan Repayment and Loan Forgiveness, Retirement Plan, Group Life and AD&D Insurance, Short term and Long Term Disability benefits, Professional Fee Reimbursement, Mileage and Cell Phone Reimbursement, Scrubs Reimbursement, Loupes Reimbursement, Employee Assistance Programs, Paid Holidays, Personal Days of Celebration, Paid time off, and Extended Illness Benefits.
Pay Range is $55.00 $64.00